CBS Corp. has paid a former employee more than $5 million in hush money over a period spanning more than 20 years over accusations that legendary “60 Minutes” creator and producer Don Hewitt sexually assaulted her multiple times, the New York Times reported late Thursday. The Times, citing a draft report by the CBS board into the media giant’s workplace culture, said the woman claimed Hewitt sexually assaulted her over a period of years and destroyed her career. CBS found the accusations credible, the Times said, and reached a settlement in the 1990s paying her $450,000 for her silence. The agreement has been updated six times since then, the Times said, for a total payout of more than $5 million. Hewitt died in 2009. The same report reportedly found that the independence “60 Minutes” enjoyed from the rest of the CBS News division fostered a culture permissive of misconduct, and found that last year’s firing of “60 Minutes” executive producer Jeff Fager for misconduct was justified. The CBS board is scheduled to review the report next week, along with findings about a probe into the alleged sexual misconduct of ousted CEO Les Moonves.
Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.
Latest posts by Market Watch (see all)
- Advocates slam Trump administration plan to fight ‘alarming’ rise of sexual assault on flights - February 22, 2019
- Trump Today: Trump Today: President calls for end to ‘witch hunt’ ahead of meeting key Chinese official - February 22, 2019
- Love & Money: When it makes financial sense for married couples to file their taxes separately - February 22, 2019