Goldman Sachs economists Alec Phillips and Tim Krupa say the Treasury’s early June deadline for the debt ceiling looks “very accurate, in our view.” Their calculation is that by June 2, the Treasury’s room under the debt ceiling will barely exceed $30 billion — the minimum cash the Treasury has targeted in prior debt-limit projections — and entirely dry by June 9. They say odds are highest that a deal will be announced late Friday or Saturday. They give an 80% chance to a full-fledged deal, a 10% probability of a short-term patch and a 10% chance Congress doesn’t act in time.Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.
Read Full Story
- Help My Career: Younger workers know being remote has drawbacks, but they don’t care. Here’s why. - June 5, 2023
- The Tell: Here’s the pain trade Citi sees in U.S. stocks as S&P 500 exceeds its 2023 target - June 5, 2023
- : Is it worth spending $3,499 on Apple’s Vision Pro VR headset? Read this first. - June 5, 2023